\

A GRAND HISTORY

One of the most historic buildings in Baltimore; built in 1866, The Grand was first known as the Tremont Grand, and served as the headquarters for the Maryland Freemason for 130 years. In the late 1990’s the building underwent a massive restoration project before finally reopening in 2005. Completely restored to its original grandeur, The Grand is one of the most iconic event venues in Baltimore.

INSPIRED ARCHITECTURE AND STYLE

The Freemasons dedicated their first Grand Lodge in 1822, which was located on St. Paul Street and Lexington Avenue. Today, The Grand pays homage to the buildings’ history as one of its ballrooms is called the St. Paul Ballroom. During the Civil War the Grand Lodge was used as a Federal Courthouse and was later acquired as a permanent extension of the courthouse. Needing a new building for their lodge, the Freemasons began construction on what would become their new headquarters in 1866.

Built by the Freemasons and inspired by French and Italian architecture, the original building was 90,000 square feet and included 10 meeting rooms. The building was lauded for its style and opulence and featured ornate moldings, a marble staircase, stained glass windows, and Rocco chandeliers.

A series of fires in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s caused significant damage to the Grand Lodge, but each time the Freemasons would rebuild. In 1908, a serious fire destroyed the third and fourth floors of the lodge, leaving the first and second floors damaged by smoke and water. This time the renovation would be significant and in 1909 a totally restored Grand Lodge opened, this time with a fifth floor added.

During the great migration to the suburbs in the mid-to-late nineteenth century, the Freemasons also started to purchase large parcels of land away from the city of Baltimore. In 1993, they began construction on a new Grand Lodge outside of the city and sold the original building in 1998.

THE RESTORATION

A highly trained team of architects, designers, craftsmen, and restoration specialists were assembled to restore the original interiors and replicate whatever could not be repaired. Every detail was meticulously taken care of. Not a single detail was missed and every single hallway, lobby, corridor, and room was returned to its original grandeur. 140 years after it was originally built, The Grand is now an icon in Baltimore offering an unparalleled venue for upscale events.